Friday, October 28, 2011

Time flies ~ embrace it

photo found here

“Where has the time gone? … Time just flies on by ….  I can’t believe another year has come and gone. ..  Time just got away from me."
        
If you’re like me, you may have said or thought these statements at some point.  You may even say or think them frequently.
        
The truth is, time is flying by, yet we are the pilots.  We navigate.  We have control over what we choose to do, or not do. 
        
At times, we allow ourselves to get so busy and overwhelmed.  We fill up, we speed up, and rarely hear the quiet whispers of what really matters.  
        
When we can really identify our priorities and what’s important in our lives, we can then allow ourselves to say “no” to what gets in our way, so that we can move towards what brings us joy, contentment and satisfaction.
        
 I first heard the following statement in a workshop over 20 years ago.  It goes like this.  “If you cannot say “NO” ~~ you truly do not know how to say “YES”.  These words still give me the chills.
        
Isn't it amazing that "No", one of the simplest and shortest words in our language is one of the most difficult words to say. 
        
When we learn to eliminate the unwanted stuff, people, places, and things from our lives, we can then decide what we want to make room for.  When we can identify and embrace our priorities and focus on what we want more of, we then feel more justified saying “no”, in order to pursue our dreams and goals.
       
Cheryl Richardson reminds us that learning to say no with grace and love is the key to protect our gift of time.  If saying “no” is difficult for you, here are 3 helpful tips she recommends:

1.       Your self care is always a valid excuse

2.     You don’t need to explain or defend your actions.  Just tell the simple truth.

3.     Doing things out of guilt and obligation is not doing things out of love.
    
As I sit here and write this post,  I am aware that another month is coming to an end and the start of the new month presents us with new intentions, new beginnings, and new possibilities.

I invite you to take some time today and ask yourself…

What would my life be like if there really were enough hours in each day?

What needs my attention the most at this point in my life?

What do I need to let go of to create more time?

6 comments:

  1. Excellent post! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog Minimalist in the Making, and thanks for visiting my team at The Motivation Station too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such inspiring words, and meaningful questions to ask oneself. The workshop quote gave me the chills to! I'm writing this one down.

    xo
    Gwynnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding me to take some time out for myself. By reading this it makes me think of whether I do some things for love or because I just can't say no. I will have to pay more attention to what myself really wants to do.

    This is a lovely writing, you make it sound so
    easy.

    Lainey

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhhhh, thanks for this wonderful ponder:)
    I do choose to embrace the time I have
    and protect it like I would a much loved child
    ...to be a mama bear defending her cubs
    if it's needed.
    Oh thank you again for the reminder.
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I particularly like "your self care is always a valid excuse." So often we think we are being selfish when we claim what we need!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thanking you for the reminder as I am reading this after I have read the minutes from the Chai Center. I am wondering what I have gotten myself into? If it gets to be too much, I will learn to say no. Self Care should always come first!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for showing up.
Feel free to share your feelings and thoughts.
I’d really love to know.